The creation and management of digital content is the key to success for any business, regardless of whether it is a blog or an eCommerce website. Sounds relatively simple, doesn’t it? Organizations often think so, which is the number one reason why they overlook the importance of having the best CMS for their website.
Having the right content management system (CMS) for your website not only allows you to create new content but gives you the power to update, change or delete any media, all from one simple interface. In the digital age, people who aren’t first are last, meaning that updating your content to the SEO guidelines of search engines like Google or Bing guarantees traffic which means a higher ranking and eventually, a boost in sales.
While everyone wants to rank higher on search engines, not everyone can; This is mostly due to a couple of reasons that include resistance to change, inability to comprehend technical knowledge, and the most important: lack of a good content management system.
Today, we will talk about the importance of a good CMS and how it can help your Search engine optimization (SEO). We will also discuss the top 10 CMS in the world and what they have to offer. But before we start, let’s talk a little about the definition of a CMS.
Let us break down the segments for your better understanding.
Table of Contents
- What is CMS
- How does CMS Works?
- What CMS features matter for SEO
- Must have SEO factors in CMS
Top Nine CMS and SEO factors they offer
- 1. WordPress
- 2. Joomla
- 3. Drupal
- 4. Magento
- 5. Shopify
- 6. Open Cart
- 7. Wix
- 8. Prestashop
- 9. Squarespace
- Which is the Best CMS for SEO?
- FAQs about CMS
- Final Verdict
What is CMS
CMS is the acronym for Content Management System. In simple terms, it allows the users to manage their website content conveniently. For example, users can add, edit, or remove the content using the drag and drop functionality.
Furthermore, CMS helps beginners or non-technical people to build their websites without writing codes. It provides you with ready-made options that you can use to create and decorate your website in a short time.
How does CMS Works?
The content management system consists of two major parts; Content Management Application (CMA) and Content Delivery Application (CDA).
● Content Management Application (CMA)
It is specifically used by the content creators such as merchandisers and marketers. They can interact with the content management without letting the IT experts be involved in it. It is basically the front-end side of the website.
● Content Delivery Application (CDA)
It is the process of inserting the content into the ready-made templates and turning them into complete websites. It is basically the back-end of the website.
What CMS features matter for SEO
Most Content Management Systems (CMS) have unique features which make them different from one another. However, there are some features that each CMS possesses. When it comes to Search Engine Optimization (SEO), it becomes more important to analyze what to look for.
Here is the core CMS features that matter for SEO:
I. SEO-Friendly URLs
It is important to work on the URL of each static page of your website. It highly impacts your website ranking in search engines optimization terminologies. You can work on it by using a plugin or code.
However, there are some factors that you will need to consider while working manually in making your website URLs user-friendly such as using direct words.
II. Manage Page Titles & Meta Descriptions
Managing page titles and meta descriptions will help you in two ways:
- Keyword recognition.
- Increasing the click-thru rate.
When we talk about the page title, it is not mandatory to include the keyword; you can simply put the page title on it. However, when it comes to the meta description, ensure that you incorporate the keyword because it is useful for the PPC ads.
III. On-Page Optimization
If your website content contains keywords that are placed correctly according to the SEO techniques, it is possible to rank your website on the Search Engine Result Pages (SERPs). The on-page optimization means SEO-optimized website pages.
Must have SEO factors in CMS
While building a website for your business or personal use, you always keep in mind that your website should be ranked higher on the search engine. In such a case, there are some important factors that you must consider while working on the optimization quality of your website. The factors are defined below.
It is one of the main SEO factors that have to be considered well by the website developer and SEO expert. The process of on-page SEO optimization is simply incorporated targeted keywords.
As you know, Google’s crawler reads the content and finds out the keyword to rank your website.
In addition, it helps the search engine recognize your website and bring more traffic to your website for a higher ranking.
On-page SEO optimization enables the search engine crawler to rank the particular links of your website and present them to the public when they search for related queries.
Makes sure that you avoid keyword stuffing, which is the definition of repeatedly using a keyword in your content, resulting in losing a sense of your content.
Some of the important factors you need to ensure you follow while working on your on-page SEO optimization are listed below.
- Generate your content to the point and do not make it lengthy by adding more and
- Try to separate your website URL with hyphens to make it more readable by the Google
- Try using the exact words that are understandable by the general audience. Making
them fancy is not a good idea.
- Placing your keyword on the left side in your URL helps in on-page SEO optimization.
- Place your primary keyword within the first hundred words of your content because it
helps the web crawlers understand your content’s major concern.
- Keep your keyword density stable according to the length of your content.
- Apply the internal linking strategy because it builds a strong relationship between your
website contents. Internal linking improves the conversion rate and bounce rate.
Technical SEO Factors
Technical SEO requires technical knowledge, and can only be implemented by someone with adequate knowledge of search engines and how they work. Some of technical SEO’s important elements include crawling, indexing, rendering, and website architecture.
Technical SEO improves your website ranking process and takes your website on top of google search results more frequently.
Let’s shed some light on the core technical SEO factors.
- Containing multiple URLs to search for your website can make trouble from SEO perspectives. These kinds of errors mostly appear when you build internal linking.
- Optimize your content for mobile devices and load your website on different mobile
brands. Moreover, increase or decrease the screen size to check whether your website
content is adjusted to proper dimensions.
- Optimize your image without losing quality. This helps in improving your website’s
overall SEO and performance.
- The ideal load time for any website is approximately 2-4 seconds. This is achievable
bulky means a large amount of bulk code.
- Ensure that your website contains SSL certificates; it confirms that your website content
is secured and protected from hackers and spammers. It is also a part of technical SEO
to rank your website content.
- Occasionally perform a quick check-up on your website for crawl errors. Regular check-
ups allow you to find new errors and results from the previous issues.
- Focus on your sitemaps whether your current website structure meets the SEO terms
and policies or set beyond them.
Top Nine CMS and SEO factors they offer
Content Management Systems are enriched with numerous features in which SEO is one of the most prominent features. We have collected the top 10 CMS and SEO factors they offer to rank up your website.
WordPress is the leading and widely used Content Management System serving website developers to construct a website for individuals and businesses. When it comes to SEO, it can boost your website’s ranking from amongst hundreds of thousands of indexes available on the search engines. Even if you have minimal technical knowledge, you can easily implement the best SEO practices. Don’t want to do it yourself? Hire WordPress agencies like WPExperts.io that entirely deals with WordPress services.
How does WordPress helps in SEO?
- WordPress allows users to generate SEO-friendly URLs separated by hyphens, which increases the readability of the content for everyone.
- WordPress enables users to choose either ‘www’ URL or ‘non-www’ URL for their website. If you choose any of them, it would be better to avoid losing your website SEO ranking.
- WordPress provides us with the best SEO plugins to help you rank your website on the search engines. The popular SEO plugins include RankMath, YoastSEO, and others.
- WordPress offers compatibility with Google Search Console that will help you collect statistical information about your website SEO performance.
- WordPress allows the users to add targeted keywords to their blogposts’ titles and meta descriptions to keep their SEO on track.
- WordPress enables the users to build particular categories for their website blogs and other content that helps visitors easily find their desired content on your website.
Joomla is used for building different types of websites, and it is open source and free to use. Joomla is a well-known content management system, and it has won various rewards due to its customizing features that can be handled and managed easily. Besides, it allows the users to maintain and improve the SEO of websites built on this framework.
It is a pure PHP framework and can build optimized corporate, small business, and personal websites. Moreover, the expert developers of Joomla handle the SEO terms and processes to make your website performance much better and help it to rank higher on search engines.
How does Joomla helps in SEO?
- It lets you build easy-to-read and user-friendly URLs to be recognized easily by search engines.
- It enables you to rename your URL from the SEO settings in Joomla that helps you remove the index.php file easily.
- Other basic SEO settings include URL suffixes, website name in page titles, and Unicode aliases if your URL has some non-Latin characters.
- It allows the users to use GZip compression tool for optimizing the files to increase the website speed, which is one of the main factors from an SEO perspective.
- It has some integration settings that help you remove the IDs in the URL that appear to be bad for the developers.
- It allows Google Analytics settings for keyword research, and it is considered as the high-priority SEO technique.
- Also, it provides the users with remarkable SEO extensions and plugins to make the process minimal and automated.
- The websites built on it are responsive and user-friendly.
- On-page and off-page SEO settings can be configured simply.
Drupal is a web Content Management System (CMS) and a PHP framework to build websites for everyone. It is an entirely free and open-source platform that can be customized by the developers according to their requirements.
Drupal latest releases always come with new and efficient features, which helps in different ways. SEO is one of them. Drupal SEO terminologies are commendable and take your website higher on the search engine result pages.
How does it assist in SEO?
- It gives you useful ways to make your website responsive and adjust the content of your website to improve the overall SEO performance. However, there is a need to do this process manually as well somewhere somehow.
- Siteimprove integration is available that assists the content editors and developers to boost SEO optimization by applying better strategies.
- It offers more than three hundred meta tags that you can incorporate into your website information for better recognition by the search engines.
- There are enormous modules available in Drupal such as Sitemap, Google Analytics, Redirect, Schema.org metatag, and a lot more for improving the SEO of your website.
- The latest release of Drupal 9 caters to the technical SEO more in-depth.
- Usually, websites lack speed factors; Drupal looks after the page speed and loads only the necessary content that is in use to maintain the mobile and desktop speed.
Magento is widely used in building online marketplaces and is also a popular content management system that is a developer choice. Due to its features, extensions, and themes, online store developers prefer to use this framework.
With its out-of-the-box SEO offers, it lets your website stand in the competitive ranking on the search engine. As time goes by, it even boosts your website’s ranking. It is made with a robust framework, and thus, the template works for all browsers and devices.
How does it assist in SEO?
- It creates title tags for you; also, its developers enable you to create tags manually. The proper use of headers helps a lot in SEO.
- It enables you to add canonical URLs to check if your website has any duplicate links.
- Add ‘no follow’ links to let not index the pages that you do not want to.
- Magento focuses on the website’s homepage SEO because it believes in the first impression.
- It lets you add meta titles, meta keywords, and meta descriptions right from the dashboard.
- Also, you can easily incorporate the meta tags in product fields to rank them higher.
- For feature snippets on search engines, it includes almost all the product pages’ short descriptions.
- It adds the sitemap for your web page placement as it is an important part of SEO strategy.
- Alt images play an important role in SEO terms and improve the speed of your website, also, grabs the viewers’ attention.
Whether it is an online shop or a dropshipping store, you can easily build on Shopify. It is a platform to start your online shopping business, and it provides you with a free trial. When it comes to the marketing perspective, SEO is top-listed.
Shopify lets you construct the SEO techniques to improve the ranking of your online store on the search engine result pages. It enables you to make your content more relevant to the SEO requirements and helps you boosting the overall ranking.
How does it assist in SEO?
- Various options for placing the keyword in your website content title, description, product.
- Include your full domain name so that your website appears easily on the search engines.
- The sitemap and robots.txt files can be generated automatically.
- You can edit your website SEO manually by adding optimized content with the targeted keywords and meta descriptions for a better searching experience.
- It allows the users to add the images’ alt text, one of the main SEO factors.
6. Open Cart
It is very simple to use an eCommerce Content Management System to build online stores. OpenCart is an open-source and free-to-use platform. The management is super easy, and it provides you with captivating themes and useful extensions.
With OpenCart, anyone can use search engine optimized URLs for a product, manufacturer, category, and information page. This means that URLs are cleaner, easier to remember, and can be recognized by search engines. This improves your store’s search engine rankings, which in turn increases your potential traffic.
How does it assist in SEO?
- You can include the header and title of your eCommerce store pages with H1 and H2 tags that are important for SEO techniques.
- It lets you build an optimized URL for all the product pages.
- It has the option to use canonical URLs to get rid of URL duplication.
- The homepage can be optimized from the SEO settings of OpenCart easily by adding the content with the targeted keywords.
- Use alt text for image optimization of all the products.
Create beautiful websites for your personal and professional use with Wix in a matter of minutes. Anyone can build websites on this platform so easily and use the ready-made templates available on Wix.
Wix is enriched with amazing features in which SEO is a descriptive one. There are a lot of options to improve your website ranking using Wix SEO functionalities. Let’s explore more in-depth.
How does it assist in SEO?
- Automated robots.txt file generation for your website indexing.
- Automated structured data added to your website pages for content appearing.
- The Server Side Rendering helps search engines to read your content.
- Automated sitemap creation for keeping your website content updated.
- Use canonical URL to check if your website has any duplicate URL.
- It shrinks down your images without losing the quality of improving your website’s overall SEO performance and speed.
- Cache support.
- Wix websites are responsive for both mobile and desktop devices.
- Wix SEO Wiz module is available for looking after your website SEO process.
Prestashop lets you build eCommerce stores and blesses you with great solutions such as customization, business-driven possibilities, visitors attraction, and selling your products worldwide. With that said, it also helps you in ranking your website higher on search engine result pages.
Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is a technique that triggers search engines to rank your website higher on search result pages. It is complex but helpful for all website owners.
How does it assist in SEO?
- It helps you incorporate keywords at the right place for high ranking.
- Google Analytics integration for keeping track of your SEO progress.
- Canonical URL check-up to find out the duplicate URL if existing on your website.
- Sitemaps and robots.txt file generation automatically.
- Increase the readability of your website content and enables you to add the images alt text.
Start your online business with Squarespace by signing up for free and build your website on this platform with all the features. It helps you sell your products globally and invest in the marketing of your business.
Besides, it contributes to SEO aspects for website ranking progression and enables the developers to work on the overall website performance to make your website healthy and top-ranked. Its built-in SEO tools help a lot; see how.
How does it assist in SEO?
- It optimizes your website title and description.
- The users have the power to hide specific pages.
- Have complete control over the images and the content.
- Built-in SSL certificates.
- All websites built on it are mobile responsive automatically.
Which is the Best CMS for SEO?
After gaining in-depth knowledge of all the Content Management Systems, we have analyzed that the comparison is challenging. However, we would suggest using WordPress for building websites of any kind. The reasons are listed below.
- WordPress can be used for both building websites and online stores.
- WordPress powers 64 million websites.
- WordPress has over fifty-five thousand plugins and the total usage of this Content Management System is around 39.6% which is more than any other CMS.
- It has a market share of 64.1%, which is greater.
- It is FREE and will always be. A bulk of free and paid themes and plugins are available to use.
There are a lot more reasons behind calling it a Winner.
FAQs about CMS
What is a CMS?
CMS stands for Content Management System that allows you to build websites for your personal and professional use with the help of efficient features and services.
Why do we need a CMS?
Pretty simple! Content Management Systems make it easy to build websites of any kind in a matter of minutes without requiring any kind of technical expertise. CMS helps you add functionality to your website, and you can decorate your website by using captivating themes. In addition to that, some plugins and extensions make your work easier and more automated. CMS is designed for both beginners and expert-level users.
Most content management systems are free to use and gain optimal user experience. You can use it anywhere in the world. There are remarkable SEO tools to rank your websites higher on search engines that are built on CMS. Your websites can be secured by the HTTPS protocol.
Who uses CMS?
CMS is used by website designers and developers. But, due to its easy-to-use and drag and drop functionality, any non-technical person can use it as well.
Are CMSs free or paid?
There are many Content Management Systems that are free, and some are paid. Here is the list of both.
Free CMS: WordPress, Joomla, Shopify, Drupal, Wix, Magento, PrestaShop, OpenCart, Bitrix, Blogger, TYPO3, and Weebly.
Paid CMS: Hubspot, Squarespace, Magnolia, Sitefinity, Solodev, Kentico, and Pixpa.
Is WordPress still the best CMS for SEO?
There is no doubt about it. WordPress is indeed the best Content Management System (CMS) for boosting your website’s Search Engine Optimization (SEO). There are many technical and non-technical options available in WordPress to work on the improvement of your website’s SEO.
Furthermore, you can use plugins to enhance and extend the ranking of your website and take it to a higher level. You can download and install WordPress themes that are already designed as SEO-friendly and a lot more.
Does changing CMS affect SEO?
Yes, it does. But, there are ways to get rid of such problems. First of all, if you are a non-technical person and want to shift your website from existing CMS to any other, do hire a developer. An expert has the knowledge and techniques to do the process without disturbing your website ranking on the search engines.
It is really important to do a deep thinking process before stepping into any technical work. This blog will help you learn how to choose the best CMS for SEO to boost your website ranking on search engines. We have covered the outmost process and choices for you to opt for the best one. That would be all.